Thanksgiving Picture Books

I love having special books on display for holidays and themes in the classroom.  Thanksgiving is no exception, but I used to have a pretty sad and bare shelf.  That has all changed over the past few years thanks to Scholastic Book Club flyers and recommendations from teaching blogs.

As many of you know, I am out of the classroom this year, so I didn't get to set up my display shelf.  Instead, I have been rotating my books in and out of a small book tub to share with my kids.  Here is what my little collection looks like right now:

Since my reading audience members are 4 and 1, I thought it would be fun to let my daughter share her favorites.  Here are her top 5 picks:
Pete the Cat, The First Thanksgiving by James Dean

Book Description: Starring in the school Thanksgiving play would make even the coolest cat nervous. But when Pete the Cat gets onstage, he makes learning the story of the first Thanksgiving fun. 

Megan says, "I liked when Pete and his family said they were thankful for. I liked the surprises under the flaps!"


T is for Turkey by Tanya Lee Stone

Book Description: Little ones will love learning about Thanksgiving in Tanya Lee Stone's newest shaped alphabet book. Join in as the elementary school puts on a play that tells the true story of the first Thanksgiving. Rhyming couplets that flow through the alphabet help kids celebrate everything from Harvest to Pilgrims to Turkey.

Megan says, "This book has my ABCs in it.  My favorite page was H because it's about a girl."

Turkey Trouble by Wendi Silvano

Book Description: Turkey is in trouble. Bad trouble. The kind of trouble where it's almost Thanksgiving . . . and you're the main course. But Turkey has an idea--what if he doesn't look like a turkey? What if he looks like another animal instead? After many hilarious attempts, Turkey comes up with the perfect disguise to make this Thanksgiving the best ever!

Megan says, "That turkey is so silly dressing up like the animals.  He didn't really look like a horse.  He was so funny when he brought pizza for Thanksgiving - that's so silly!"

The Great Turkey Race and The Amazing Turkey Rescue by Steve Metzger

Book Descriptions: Cassie, Wing, and Ollie all want to be the Thanksgiving turkey! They decide to have a contest to see which of them Farmer Joe should pick. Is it going to be a happy Thanksgiving for all?

In the sequel, Cassie, Wing, and Ollie are back on the farm for another wild Thanksgiving adventure! When a fox is spotted prowling around the hen house, the turkeys smell trouble.  Can they help the chickens fly the coop before it's too late?

Megan says, "I loved the obstacle course. It's just like Ninja Warrior!  I didn't like that Wing was a cheater-pants.  It was silly that the farmers had soup for Thanksgiving."

The Littlest Pilgrim by Brandi Dougherty

Book Description: Mini is the littlest Pilgrim in her village.  Too little to sew.  Too little to bake.  Too little to fish.  But she's not too little to make a friend.

Megan says, "Mini was little just like me, but nobody would let her help.  I liked when she made her new friend.  Now they can play games together all the time!"


I hope you found one of your favorites on her Top 5 list (or maybe a new book to check out).  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...