August Currently

I'm back!  I can't believe it's been over two weeks since I blogged last.  It was for a good reason - I promise.  Here's why I have been M.I.A.:

My little girl will be 2 1/2 next month.  I have really enjoyed having time one-on-one with her this summer.  I think she has, too.  Even though she plays pretty independently in spurts throughout the day, she's going through a phase in the evenings where she needs me around constantly playing with her or just being next to her.  My husband tries to help give me some time to work on projects by myself, but the little one has other plans for me.  So, I let blogging go because in my heart I know that there will be a day when she doesn't want me this much so I'll take all the time I can get now :)
So, it's a new month and I have about a month left until school starts.  Yes, I know many of you are already back or getting things ready for school to start.  I thought it would be a great way to ease back into blogging with Farley's monthly Currently linky:

Listening
My daughter went down for her nap.  She's almost 2 1/2, so there are some days she doesn't nap, but she still goes down to her room for quiet time.  Today she's downstairs reading books to all of her friends (aka stuffed animals).  While I'm working, I like having Friends re-runs on in the background.  I still love the show as much as I did when it was on regularly.
Loving
August is always a special month.  Not only do I celebrate my birthday, but my anniversary, too.  My hubby is always very good about planning something fun for us to do and enjoys surprising me (he's so much better at this than I am).  This time he arranged for our little one to go to Grandma's house for a couple of days and has even taken a little time off of work so we can spend extra time together. 
Thinking
When the calendar turns to August, my school brain starts going into overdrive.  We don't start with kids until after Labor Day, but I usually head into my classroom the third week of August.  While I start scrambling at home, the weeks fly by faster than I can blink.  I love what I do, but I just wish I had more time to do it all :)
Wanting
When I was little I can remember going shopping with my mom or dad for school clothes.  I still love having new things to wear and mixing them in with what I already have.  There's something about how a new outfit can make you feel better about starting a new school year.
Needing
I have been working like crazy to beef up my book units this summer, but I have also been working on a series of packs for 2nd grade math common core.  Right now I have a measurement pack in the works that I'm pretty excited about.  I just need a few more hours in the day to get it all together.
B2S Must Haves
Sharpened pencils are a must-have for the school year to start off right.  There is nothing I hate more than collecting school supplies on the first day than to find out just how many pencils I have to sharpen.  Luckily, I have a fabulous new sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies to help me out.  I have sharpened a few packs here and there this summer and I am building up my back-up supply of pencils. 
Another thing that helps me feel like my room is put together is having some cute name tags to put on the student desks.  I was very fortunate last year to have a group of students that didn't destroy them.  I'm not sure that will ever happen again.
Finally, I need some Mr. Sketch markers.  I may not make the prettiest or fanciest anchor charts, but writing and drawing on them with Mr. Sketch markers makes me feel happy.
That's enough for today.  Hopefully I'll be back in a few days to share some of the projects I have been working on to get ready for school.

6 comments:

Jen Sykes said...

Enjoy your time with your little one!! It goes very fast... Also, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Sketch markers, too! :)

~Jen
Hello Mrs Sykes

Mechele said...

Your little girl is too cute!!!
I had forgot about name tags. I will be adding it to my To Do List.
Mechele
Barrow's Hodgepodge

Tania said...

Mr. Sketch markers are the ones and only ones to use in my classroom. I love sharpies, but thick markers make better charts :)
Your little one is precious. Enjoy every minute.
tania

My Second Sense

Megan @ I Teach. What's Your Super Power? said...

Mr. Sketch is on my must have list too! Can't stand stinky marker smell!

Megan

I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

Julie Marciniak said...

Here's to the last few dog days of summer! And quality time with our sweeties!

Julie
Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

Krystyn Richards said...

I have Mr. Sketch markers on my Currently too! I love using them. I buy a new set every year. The beginning of school just wouldn't be the same without them. Enjoy your last month with your adorable little girl. When school gets here it will be crazy!

Krystyn
Ms Richards's Musings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...