Wacky Words & a Summer Freebie

This week we have been stopping to review parts of speech with our main focus on nouns, verbs, and adjectives.  I started with a chart on the wall divided into thirds and labeled nouns, verbs, and adjectives (forgot to take a picture again).  Then I pulled out some of my favorites for teaching parts of speech:
A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What is a Noun?
To Root, to Toot, to Parachute: What is a Verb?
Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What is an Adjective?
all written by Brian P. Cleary

The kids were quick to point out the rhyming text and how the author used color to identify the parts of speech inside each book.  At the end of each book, the author writes something like, Do you know what is a noun?  After each book, we brainstormed examples and I recorded them on our chart. 


So, what do you do after you've reviewed parts of speech?  Have fun with it, of course!  In the past I have used Mad Libs, but this year I found an awesome resource.  Do you know Martha from Primary Paradise?  If not, you will definitely need to check out her blog.  She shares some fabulous resources each week. 
Anyhow, she has a series of files called Wacky Words: Parts of Speech.  She creates some original stories that can be completed just like Mad Libs.  Some use multiple parts of speech while others allow students to narrow their focus on just one at a time.  I purchased the spring set and my kids were laughing up a storm when we read their creations out loud and were moaning and groaning when it was time to transition to the next subject.  You can bet I'll be pulling this resource out again for some comic relief (and important skill review).  You can learn more about this file by clicking the picture.




A few days ago I added this freebie to my TpT store.  It's a word search that contains 16 summer-themed words.  Just click on the pictures below to grab your own copy.  I've also added this to my freebies page. 

  

1 comment:

Mrs. Shepherd said...

You have some awesome stuff! I'm your newest follower!

mysecondgradejournal.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...