Odd or Even with a Brain Break Twist




Do your students need additional practice with odd and even?  My students are at the point where they can identify odd and even numbers with about 95% accuracy.  However, when I ask them to explain how they know a number is odd or even, they still have gaps.  Usually they tell me odd numbers are 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 and even numbers are 2, 4, 6, 8, and 0.  After they do this, I write a number like 74 on the board.  I ask them if it's odd or even.  They tell me it's even.  Then I point out that it has a 7 and a 4 - one odd digit and one even number.  It is taking a lot of repetitive prompting, but they are finally starting to verbalize that it is the digit in the ones place that determines whether a number is odd or even...baby steps!
To give my kids a chance to practice odd and even in a fun and non-competitive way, I made a slight modification to my Ups & Downs activity.  This activity can be found in my Let's Take a Break: My Take on Brain Breaks pack.  Instead of focusing on red or black cards, my students focus on odd or even. 
To play this game, I put a sticky note under my document camera.  It has an arrow pointing up for even and down for odd.  This means the students stand when they see an even numbered card and sit down when they see an odd numbered card.  Next to the sticky note I flip the cards from the deck one at a time until we finish the deck (I use the Everyday Math deck of cards which has numbers from 0-20).  I keep telling my kids I am going to videotape them doing this activity because I can't help but giggle watching them.  There are times I flip 5 or 6 odd cards in a row.  Each and every time there are at least 4 kids who try to stand up in anticipation of an even numbered card and quickly sit back down.
I also put this pack together to give a Christmas twist to practicing odd and even...again!
Pinned Image
Here is a listing of all that is included.
 
Here are the directions and the anchor chart.
 
These are the header cards.  I attached mine to brown paper lunch sacks.  Even when attached, the lunch sacks can still be folded flat for easy storage in your file cabinet or in sheet protectors in your math binder.

These show the two variations of sorting cards.  On the left, students are given numbers less than 100 to sort.  On the right, students are shown picture cards (up to 20 objects on each card) to determine if every stocking has a partner.  This helps address Common Core Standard 2.OA.3 - Determine whether a group of objects (up to 20) has an odd or even number of members. 



What are you doing to make sure your students understand the difference between odd and even numbers?



1 comment:

Jessica said...

What a great brain break idea! I love the physical movement and you're doing something academic!


What i have learned

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...